Sunday, June 3, 2007

Dancing with the Devil: Alles Misses a Step

Two days before the arrest of Tiran Alles a letter was sent to IGP Victor Perera by Attorney at Law Neville Abeyratne which outlines the motives behind the TID investigations. This letter, which was published in the Sunday Leader is reproduced here for those who are interested.

I write on the instruction of my client Mr. Tiran Alles of No 345/33, Kuruppu Lane, Colombo 8, who is presently receiving treatment at Nawaloka Hospital, Colombo.

I have been instructed by my client to state that you will recall that during the last three months, my client has at all times presented himself when required to make statements. My client has made statements on several occasions to you voluntarily and readily.

I have been instructed by my client to state that my client voluntarily made a visit to the TID for a meeting with SSP Wakishta on the 19th of April 2007.

I have been further instructed by my client to state that at no time between 30th March 2007 and 20th May 2007 was my client asked to make any statement.

I have been instructed by my client to state that my client may point out that it was in this period that high level negotiations were proceeding in order to induce Hon. Mangala Samaraweera to join the cabinet.

I have been instructed by my client to state that on 16th May 2007, Hon Mangala Samaraweera refused to join the cabinet.

I have been further instructed by my client to state the very next day (17th May 2007) a team of officials from the TID visited my client's office in order to carry out investigations. They spent almost six hours in my client's office.

I have been instructed by my client to state that on the following day (18th May 2007) my client's accountant was called to the TID for questioning. That same evening my client was contacted by IP Abeysinghe and was requested to be present at the TID on the following day to give a statement.

I have instructed by my client to state that my client informed the TID that both his children were sitting important examinations (the son was doing Advanced Level and the daughter was doing Ordinary Level) and that the son was having high fever and was very worried about my client being summoned again. My client therefore, requested that he be allowed to make a statement on 21st Monday. This request however was not accepted and he was asked to make a statement on 20th May 2007 (Sunday). He was at the TID on this day for over four hours.

I have been instructed by my client to state that my client has always been a close associate of Hon Mangala Samaraweera.

I have been further instructed by my client to state that my client is being harassed due to a political fall out.

I have also been instructed by my client to state that my client is presently hospitalised at Nawaloka Hospital, Colombo. On 24th of May 2007, SSP Wakishta, CI Prasanna Alwis and two others had visited my client at the hospital. On 27th May 2007, SSP Wakishta and SSP Kapila Jayasekara had visited my client at the hospital. I am made to understand that my client had been receiving telephone calls practically everyday from the investigating offers inquiring as to whether he is still receiving treatment.

I have been instructed by my client to state that at all times it was indicated to you that my client was willing to make statements from hospital when he was well enough to do so. My client is ready and willing to make any statements from hospital at a time when he is well enough to do so.

I have been instructed by my client to state that you will appropriate that my client cannot be discharged from hospital without the consent of his medical advisors. My client is diagnosed to be having Angiooedema which is stress related where an attack can be fatal.

In these circumstances I have been instructed by my client to reiterate that my client is willing to make statements at my time to assist your so called investigation though my client does not accept your bona fides.

I have been instructed by my client to state that my client cannot, however leave the hospital as he is medically advised not to do so.

Copies to
1. Deputy Inspector General,

Criminal Investigations Department, (CID)
4th floor, New Secretarial Building,
Colombo 1.

2. Deputy Inspector General,
Terrorist Investigation Department (TID)
Chaitiya Road, Colombo 1

3. Deputy Inspector General - Legal,
Police Headquarters, Colombo 1

4. SSP Wakishta,
Criminal Investigations Department, (CID)
4th floor, New Secretarial Building,
Colombo 1.

No comments: