According to new regulations, public officials who have dual citizenship and have property / assets overseas are not required to declare their assets. One can only imagine, who exactly benefits from this tailor-made regulation introduced during the Rajapaksa administration.
LankaWhistleBlower did some freelance investigations using publicly available information to uncover some information. Based on the information that we came up, the average market value of the primary residencies of Basil & Gotabaya Rajapakse are as follows:
- Primary residence listed in Fontana, California
- 3 bedroom house
- Average market price - $4.5-million
- Primary residence listed in San Dimas, California
- House is in the name of his wife, Ioma Rajapakse
- Average market price - $995,000 for an old house
Want to confirm the information yourself? Here's how. Read on.
- Visit Yahoo!People search -- http://people.yahoo.com
- Enter "First Name" Basil and "Last Name" Rajapaksa (spell correctly)
- Use the "Phone & Address Search"
- Copy the address to Google Maps or Google Earth to see the location
- To find the prices of houses in the surrounding area, type the ZIP code and "homes" into Google Search (note: NOT in Google Maps). This would be, "92336 homes" for Basil, for example.
- Click on the first link that Google returns "Find results for 92336 homes in Housing search"
- Confirm Ioma Rajapaksa is indeed Gotabaya's wife by typing her name into Google
- Then look her up on Yahoo People Search
- Basil Rajapaksa - Address , Closeup , Market Value
- Gotabaya Rajapksa - Address , Closeup , Market Value
All information disclosed here is obtained through publicly available information, free of charge. Anyone aware of the tools can do this. The only thing I've done is just compiled it.
After all, as the public we not only have to obey laws but understand the purpose of law. When things are done to circumvent not only law, but its purpose, then information such as this at least in my opinion, becomes worthwhile publishing.